Monday 25 August 2014

A PESACH STORY WITH A LESSON

There is a kehilla in Bnei Brak founded by the late Rabbi Ungar, known as Chug Chasam Soffer. This was formed after the Second World War, basically, consisting of survivors of the Holocaust, their children and other Jews from Hungary who escaped, especially in 1956, when there was a revolution there.

In 1978, one of the Baale Batim, Reb Yaakov, came to Rabbi Ungar one morning looking very troubled.

“Rebbe, I must speak to you about a dream I have had”.

Reb Yaakov proceeded to tell Rav Ungar the following:-

“I ended up in Auschwitz early in 1944 and was among a group who worked very hard and, therefore, lived rather than being burnt in the ovens. We had to get up at 5.30 in the morning and by 6.30 we were walking ten kilometres to the factory where we worked all day coming back about 6.00 or 7.00 in the evening, knocked out. We were then given our meagre rations for the day, watery soup and a little bread etc.

In the same block occupying the next bunk was a very Holy Jew, Reb Leibl, a בנן של קדושים. A few weeks elapsed and he said to me, “Do you know that Pesach is coming”. I nodded my assent. “Do you know that we have to have matzos on Pesach”. I looked at him in utter surprise. “We must do something about getting some matzos for Pesach”, said R’ Leibl. The very thought of trying to organise matzos for Pesach made me shiver, continued R’ Yaakov.

Nevertheless, everyday, I got this comment and request that I must do something about it.

Whilst I was walking to my work, one day, I noticed that there was some wheat stored in a shed which we passed every day. This gave me the thought that I could possibly obtain some so on the way back one day, I slipped out of line and managed to get a quantity of wheat. I did it once again, and managed to bring it back to our bunk. I then had the problem of how to grind it but with the aid of two stones, very primitively eventually ground the wheat and made flour.

There was still the problem of how to bake the matzos. I took the flour with to the factory I was working in, where there was an oven and eventually located a metal tray which I cleaned and put in the oven and so kashered it. I then mixed the wheat with water and eventually managed to make a few matzos.

You understand, Rebbe, that all this was extremely difficult and dangerous, I was very nervous that I would be caught but, Boruch Hashem, I managed to do this without any of the guards noticing what I was doing. Having managed to make the matzos, and by this time it was almost Pesach. I had to smuggle them back in with me to the barracks. This was much more difficult, because I could not just put things in my pocket as I had the flour, these were whole matzos.

I got to the outside of the concentration camp of Auschwitz and a guard looked me up and down but did not spot that I was clutching three matzos under my thin and torn clothes. I managed to get as far as the entrance to the barracks, at which point another guard did spot the matzos and asked me what they were, when I told him matzos, he gave me a tremendous beating and I went flying, he then stamped on the matzos in bestial anger. After I recovered I noticed that there was still some fragments of matzos lying around and I picked up the broken pieces as fast as possible and made it finally into my bunk.

Unfortunately, all that I had managed to save was enough for one kezias, כזית, I offered it to R’ Leibl, after all it was his idea. He in turn insisted that I had to eat it because I had risked my life time and again until I managed to make the matzos and had even been beaten up on the way back bringing the remains into the block.

Eventually, we compromised, R’ Leibl would eat the matzo on Seder night and I would get the zechus, the merit for the mitzvah.

Came leil Seder and R’ Leibl ate the matzo with great kavonnoh. Of course, you understand that everything had to be done very quietly because there were guards patrolling all the time and that at the slightest hint of anything they would come round and beat up the person, and they could kill the person as well.

We, together, tried to say the haggodah quietly and you can imagine the tears when we started Ho Lachma Anya.

The next morning, at 4.30 or so, R’ Leibl decided he wanted to daven Shacharis before roll call at 5.30 and he started very quietly in order to not attract attention. Unfortunately, when he got to Hallel, he lost himself and started the brocha and by the time he got to the end of the brocha, he said it loud. The guard noticed this, came over and gave him such a beating that a few hours later, he passed away.

I meanwhile, continued the horrible experience of Auschwitz and survived and Boruch Hashem I now have children and grandchildren who go in the Yiddishe way and I am here still to tell the tale.

Last night, I had a dream, I saw R’ Leibl, who came and said to me “I am in a very special place in Gan Eden, but I am short of one mitzvah, the mitzvah of eating that kezias of matzo on the Pesach night before I died, I have not got it because I gave it to you, I am asking you, please give me that zechus, that merit of the mitzvah, that I actually ate the kezias myself.”

I replied, said R’ Yaakov, “A deal is a deal, this is what we agreed”, and he could not persuade me. I went back to sleep and then he came a second time and asked me again.

“Rebbe,” he said to Rav Unger “ what do you say I should do.”

Rabbi Ungar said to him “you know there is a very Holy Rebbe living here in the district, the Alter Machnovker Rebbe, he went through lots of tzorres in Russia until he came out, go and ask him”.

So R’ Yaakov went to the Machnovker Rebbe and told him the whole story. The Rebbe looked at him and said, R’ Leibl is right, that would be the correct thing to do,  , namely to give the zechus, the merit of the mitzvah to R’ Leibl. אס איז יושר.

R’ Yaakov was taken aback. But why Rebbe, he protested, we made a deal. Yes, said the Rebbe, but you are here to tell the tale, you are still making a Seder with your children and grandchildren, you have lots of other mitzvos which you have managed to perform for the last 34 years. It would be very nice of you to give him the zechus of that particular mitzvah. The Rebbe continued, however, you have got to say it, that is tell him that with your full heart you are mochel him the agreement and that you are giving him the zechus of the mitzvah.

R’ Yaakov nodded, and said “alright Rebbe, if you say so I will do so.”

The Rebbe said to him Do the following. Here you have two keys one is of the Bais Hamedrash (which was adjacent to where the Rebbe lived) and one is of the Aron Hakodesh. It is now the middle of the night, I want you to go into the Bais Hamedrash, turn on a light, open the Aron Hakodesh and say that you are mochel R’ Leibl the zechus, you want him to have it in your stead.

With trembling hands R’ Yaakov took the keys, went into the Bais Hamedrash and when he opened the Aron Hakodesh, the floodgates of the all the tzorres that he been through in Auschwitz opened up and he cried torrents of tears. He managed, with a choking voice, to say to Hashem that he wanted R’ Leibl to have the zechus of that particular mitzvah of having eaten the kezias of matzo that night in Auschwitz.

Finally, he closed the Aron Hakodesh, feeling much better. He locked the door of the Bais Hamedrash, the Shammas was standing there. He gave the keys to the Shammas and said, I know the Rebbe wanted to speak to me after I had opened the Aron Hakodesh but I am feeling much too emotional and drained now. I will come and see him the morning.

That night, R’ Yaakov had another dream, R Leibl came to him and said, “Thank you very much, you do not know how much you have done by having given me the zechus of that kezais of matzo”.

The next morning, R Yaakov went back to the Rebbe and told him everything. The Rebbe smiled and said, you did the right thing.

This is a modern day example of mesirus nefesh. One can also appreciate the zechus that every Yid has for every mitzvo done, especially, if this is done under difficult circumstances.

No comments: